Friday, September 12, 2008

Flying for free (but paying for luggage and taxes)

Last night I booked a flight from Dublin to London Heathrow with Aer Lingus, departing two weeks from now. The flight was free. As you can see, all Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to London are free, all that week. I paid for taxes (just under 23 pounds sterling, or $40 at today's exchange rate). And, I paid 8 pounds to check a bag ($14).



Just to show this is not an Aer Lingus only thing, Ryanair does the same thing. Take a look at the front page of their site.



Cheap flights are something I really miss from living in Europe. Let's say you live in Dublin and want a quick break to London (or France, or Spain). You can do that with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. But, living in Boston and thinking "how about a break to New York City sometime in the next few weeks", there simply are no flight options as cheap as this. And, further afield, what about a really cheap break to Quebec or Florida? Not as cheap as the European equivalent, no matter how early you book (unless I am missing something?....)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No Budget Traveler here :) If you've got me on your blogroll, I'm sure you've already read this related article, but for your interested readers:

Why I Love/Hate RyanAir describes how I get RyanAir to pay me to travel, rather than the other way around.

For the future, read Pack Less, Carry on, Save Money, which may very well convince you to take less and keep your 8 quid!

Mark O'Neill said...

Thanks for the tips!

I will be staying in Ireland for a week before my trip to London so I'm not sure I can avoid the 8 quid, but I'll read the "Pack Less, Carry on, Save Money" link to see if it would be possible.