Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Aix-en-Provence, France

Aix-en-Provence is enviably situated on the South of France, with great weather in the summer, close to the Mediterranean and the mountains, though with cooler weather in the winter (due to the mistral).

There is also, interestingly, a cluster of high-tech companies in the area. Well, it is interesting for me because, as someone in the high-tech business, I naturally think "hey, I could move here!" Many high-tech companies can locate anywhere, but need to be beside a pool of talent. The talent itself can move too, but will gravitate towards a very pleasant place like the South of France. That may partly explain why this high-tech cluster is here.


View Larger Map

In Aix-en-Provence I recommend the Hotel Cezanne. While there, I conducted myself entirely in French, and not once did the staff reply to me in English :-)

12072006(008)

The centre of the town features this warm-water natural spring fountain, covered in moss:

12072006(025)

Near the fountain, there are many restaurants, some with impressive seafood displays. I ate at this one, but at the time I didn't notice the cook about to jump from an upstairs window:

12072006(014)

The hotel de ville, seen on the left below, flies the Provencal, French, and European flags:


12072006(021)12072006(019)

Although there are many fine museums and galleries around Aix-en-Provence, I recommend just strolling around its many squares and streets, choosing a good looking restaurant, ordering wine, and just spending the evening enjoying the surroundings.


12072006(023)

No comments: